BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Marine Engineer
BMT is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations.
BMT is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense and security, energy and environment, critical infrastructure and commercial shipping sectors. For further information on BMT please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Marine Engineer with experience leading commercial and government marine engineering concept design, construction and modification projects (ferries, work boats, patrol boats, research vessels). The candidate must have technical, marine engineering concept design experience working with commercial and government shipyards and clients. Communication and collaboration skills to fully integrate with multidisciplinary teams and converse with commercial and government clients are a must and equally important as technical expertise. The candidate’s responsibilities may include:
- Lead and assist with concept design and detail design and integration of HVAC, fluid, mechanical and propulsion systems, quality review deliverables, and work with designers to complete engineering and production packages.
- Review design calculations and engineering drawings for completeness, accuracy and compliance with applicable specifications, regulations, and standards, and deliverable format.
- Work closely with program / project leadership team to meet delivery schedules.
- Perform calculations to support design decisions and research and resolve technical problems
- Assist with developing and managing project schedules
Work Location: Alexandria, VA
Candidates must be U.S. Person who is a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Company will not sponsor a work visa for this position
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Professional Engineering License or the ability to obtain one is highly desirable.
- Minimum 8 years’ marine engineering design experience developing new vessel and modification designs including HVAC, fluid, mechanical and propulsion systems, for commercial and government vessels is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience coordinating vessel design projects for commercial and/or government clients, producing ship construction or modification work packages, and assisting junior engineers is required.
- Proficiency using AutoCAD required. Experience using NavCAD, GHS, finite element analysis software packages, and/or ShipContructor is highly desirable.
- Must have knowledge and experience researching and applying ABS Rules, CFR requirements, and military and/or commercial technical standards to vessel design projects.
- Shipyard experience preferred.
- Proactively investigates and resolves design issues
- Experience applying Quality Management System standards, such as ISO 9001.
- Confident and clear verbal communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks on schedule.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage resources and complete multiple and sometimes complex detail-oriented projects and tasks on time.
- Ability to learn new engineering software packages and design standards and integrate them directly into current projects is required.
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing narrow ladders, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Advanced experience and knowledge of MS Word and Excel required. Experience with MS Project desirable.
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges.
- Committed to actively contributing to individual and team growth.
- Confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services.
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants must email resume, BMT Employment Application and Surveys with subject line "ENG 97" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7177. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070