Senior Engineer/Scientist (Fixed Term with potential for permanent after 12 months)
BMT is a leading edge consultancy providing specialist consulting services in water and environment. With over 40 years' experience, BMT offers significant resources and expertise in its areas of specialisation. The company's team of highly qualified engineers and scientists are committed to using their skills and experience to the benefit of their clients, communities and the environment.
We are currently recruiting for the position of Senior Engineer/Scientist to join our existing team working in the water and environment market with a focus on flood risk related projects.
You will be joining a dynamic and exciting group of engineers and scientists providing leading-edge modelling solutions in flood hydraulics and flood management. You will be working closely with highly qualified specialists in the water and environment field as well as the developers of the TUFLOW software. Your roles and responsibilities may include:
- Undertaking and project management of a range of flooding related projects. These may include hydrology and numerical flood modelling analysis, Flood Risk Assessments, strategic flood risk documents, options appraisals, flood warning and forecasting.
- Working as part of a team to develop and apply innovative solutions for clients.
- Contributing to the ongoing successful operation of the Business Unit through the development of client relationships and business opportunities.
- Training and mentoring of junior staff.
- Writing of proposals and tenders within client defined timeframes.
- Liaising and collaborating with the broader BMT organisation, within both flood related and the water and environment sector.
Applicants should have 10 years’ of post-graduate experience. Your work will be challenging and will require innovative and pragmatic thinking, as well as proven project application skills. To be successful, applicants will have some or all of the following:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in engineering or equivalent.
- Be a Chartered Engineer or Scientist with ICE, CIWEM or equivalent.
- 10 years' UK experience post-graduation.
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Project management
- Flood risk management and sustainable drainage
- Hydraulic modelling using TUFLOW, Flood Modeller, InfoWorks, ICM
- Hydrology with demonstable knowledge and practice of the
following software WinFAP FEH, FEH Web-Service, ReFH1 and ReFH2
- Flood risk management and sustainable drainage.
- Hydraulic modelling using TUFLOW, Flood Modeller, InfoWorks ICM.
- Hydrology with demonstrable knowledge and practice of the following software WinFAP FEH, FEH Web-Service, ReFH1 and ReFH2.
- Experience of undertaking options appraisals through knowledge of flood risk management techniques.
- Outline and detailed design of flood risk management schemes.
- Experience of integrated urban drainage studies.
- Experience of undertaking an economic appraisal.
- Excellent GIS skills in one or more platforms such as ArcGIS, MapInfo and QGIS.
- Recognise the importance of attention to detail and put this into practice in all that you do.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Keen interest in developing and applying leading edge technology.
- A willingness and capability to work both autonomously and collaboratively with staff in your team. Enjoy mentoring those with less experience.
- Right to work in the UK.
Additional qualifications, attributes and skill sets that are highly desirable are:
- Postgraduate qualifications or research experience in a relevant field such as: flood hydraulics, hydrology, floodplain management, flood forecasting or catchment modelling.
- Experience in project problem solving/task automation through scripting/programming.
You will be joining a company whose culture is focused on the sustainability of the business's core values, in which the personal and professional development of our staff, the flexible ‘family' friendly workplace, the challenge of innovative work, and the enjoyment of what we do is paramount.
This is an initial Fixed Term opportunity with potential for permanent employment after 12 months.
Written applications addressing the above criteria, along with a full CV, should be forwarded to Daisy Mason, Senior HR Business Partner, BMT Group Ltd, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants must have the right to work in this location to apply for this job.
For background information about BMT WBM visit http://www.bmtwbm.com
For further details about the BMT Group visit our website http://www.bmt.org/
For further information on BMT WBM, please visit their website: www.bmtwbm.com.au
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to email@example.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Daisy Mason on +44 (0)20 8614 4271